BramptonVoters.ca is a service provided by Brampton Focus Community Media (Brampton Focus). Brampton Focus is committed to protecting the privacy of its members, volunteers, donors and other individuals about or from whom we collect personal information. Brampton Focus embraces the principles of the Canadian Standards Association Model Code for the Protection of Personal Information to ensure that all personal information is properly collected, used only for the purposes for which it is collected, and is disposed of in a safe and timely manner when no longer required.
Brampton Focus, is a non-profit organization dedicated to engaging resident on civic, social, economic and safety issues. TheBramptonVoters.ca service encourages residents to participate in community building civic events. Because we deal with individuals and information about those individuals, it is essential that we protect the privacy of that information. We always strive to embrace best practices, and are therefore following the principles of the CSA Model Code for the Protection of Personal Information upon which PIPEDA is based.
The Privacy Principles
We recognize that information is precious, and our members, volunteers, and donors trust us to treat that information appropriately; we are committed to protecting the confidentiality of this data. The following principles reflect our pledge to safeguard donors’ personal information:
1. We do not sell your personal information.
2. We are accountable for your personal information.
- We are responsible for all personal information in our possession.
- All employees, agents and authorized service providers of Brampton Focus / BramptonVoters.ca are required to protect the confidentiality of your personal information.
- We take every precaution to ensure confidentiality of your information. The data you provide to us is used to communicate to you within the context of the Brampton Focus / BramptonVoters.ca program, process and receipt your transactions, and respond to any of your requests.
- We keep your personal information and the business you do with us in strict confidence.
- Where we choose to have certain services, such as data processing, provided by third party providers, we select the service providers carefully. We take all reasonable precautions to ensure that the service provider protects your personal information. These service providers enter into confidentiality agreements and do not keep any personal information on file.
- We collect, use and disclose personal information only for certain purposes that we identify to you.
- Personal Information collected by Brampton Focus / BramptonVoters.ca involves name, address, phone number, e-mail address and mailing address.
- We collect, use or disclose personal information only to:
- Provide you with information about Brampton Focus and BramptonVoters.ca
- Respond to any of your information requests.
- Help us in our fundraising campaign.
- Process and receipt your purchase or payment.
- With your consent, recognize you publicly for your contribution.
- We obtain personal information about you lawfully and fairly.
- Personal information collected will be limited to that required for the purposes identified by us.
- We will obtain your consent.
- We collect, use or disclose your personal information with your permission.
- Your permission may be expressed in writing or be implied, and you may give it to us verbally or electronically.
- You may withdraw your permission to collect, use and disclose your personal information at any time, subject to legal and contractual restrictions and reasonable notice.
- We will obtain your consent before making information available to third parties.
3. We keep your personal information accurate and up to date.
We maintain appropriate procedures to ensure that personal information in our possession is accurate and up to date. You are entitled to seek a correction of your personal information if you believe that the information in our possession is not correct. If you believe any of the information we have collected about you is incorrect or incomplete, you have the right to ask us to change it or delete it. If your personal information is inaccurate or incomplete, we will make the necessary changes.
4. We will limit how long we keep information.
We will keep your personal information only as long as it is necessary to satisfy the purposes for which it was obtained, or as required by law. If and when you withdraw from the Brampton Focus / BramptonVoters.ca program, your personal information will be destroyed. When we destroy personal information, we will use safeguards to prevent unauthorized parties from gaining access to that information during the process.
5. We safeguard your personal information.
We will protect your personal information by safeguards that are appropriate to the sensitivity of that information. Access to your personal information is restricted to employees, agents and authorized service providers who need it to do their jobs.
We maintain appropriate technical and organizational safeguards to protect your personal information against loss, theft, unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification.
We have developed security procedures to safeguard and protect personal information against loss, theft, unauthorized disclosure, copying, and unauthorized use or modification. We will maintain appropriate safeguards and security procedures that reflect the types of documents, including electronic or paper records, organizational measures including security clearances and limiting access on a “need-to-know” basis, and technological measures such as the use of passwords and encryption.
6. We will be open about our privacy practices.
We will make readily available to you specific information about our policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
7. We allow you to access your personal information.
You may ask whether we hold any personal information about you, ensure that it’s accurate and to see that information, as provided by law. You also have the right to know:
- How we collected your personal information.
- How we are using it.
8. You may register a complaint.
You may register a privacy-related complaint by contacting Brampton Focus / BramptonVoters.ca Privacy Officer (email@example.com). We will explain our procedure and inform you about other complaint procedures available. We will investigate all complaints. If an objection is justified, we will take all appropriate steps to repair the situation, including changing our policies and practices if necessary. Personal information relating to volunteers, job applicants and employees are subject to similar protocols.